Spiced Indian Rice
There is much to entice about this side with rice, it's delicious and low in price!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 50g butter
- 2 medium brown onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 cardamom pods, bruised
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon poppyseeds
- 1 cup basmati rice (see tip)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 400g can lentils, drained, rinsed chopped fresh coriander leaves, to serve
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Add cardamom, mustard, chilli and poppyseeds. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
2. Add rice. Top with chicken stock and turmeric. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until liquid is just absorbed. Stir in lentils. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside for 10 minutes. Top with coriander. Serve.
Notes: Tip: Don't over stir the rice, or it will become gluggy. Serve with: Vegetable curry, beef skewers and yoghurt, barbecued lamb or chicken.