Rockmelon custard tart
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 2 sheets ready-rolled shortcrust pastry, partially thawed
- 1/2 (500g) rockmelon, peeled, seeds removed, quartered, thinly sliced
- blueberries, to serve
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 cups milk
1. Make custard: Whisk egg yolks, sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Stir in cornflour. Slowly add milk, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring constantly. Pour mixture into a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, whisking constantly, for 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Boil for 1 minute. Pour into a heatproof bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Allow to cool. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until cold.
2. Place a large baking tray in the oven. Preheat oven to 200°C.
3. Line base and sides of a 2.5cm-deep, 11.5cm x 34cm (base) loose-based tart pan with pastry. Trim excess pastry. Place pan in freezer for 20 minutes or until frozen.
4. Place pan on hot baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes or until pastry is light golden and cooked through. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Spread custard over base of pastry case. Arrange melon over custard. Serve with blueberries.
· Pastry base can be made ahead. Fill with cold custard and top with fruit just before serving.