Passionfruit Vanilla Custard Slice
Flake your way through crisp pasty to a soft and sweet passionfruit-filled centre.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 3 sheets (25 x 25cm) frozen ready-rolled butter puff pastry, thawed
- 230g (1 1/2 cups) pure icing sugar
- 2-3 tbs fresh passionfruit pulp
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 2 large baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Cut each sheet of pastry into 6 pieces. Prick the pastry with a fork. Place half the pastry pieces on the prepared trays. Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until crisp and golden. Set aside on a wire rack for 15 minutes to cool. Repeat with the remaining pastry.
2. To make the filling: place the milk in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over low heat. Whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the flour and fold to combine. Gradually whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture. Return to pan over low heat and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until custard thickens and coats the back of the spoon.
3. Transfer the custard to a small heatproof bowl. Stir in the vanilla and set aside, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes to cool. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the custard (this will prevent a skin forming). Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill. Use an electric beater to beat the cream until soft peaks form. Use a metal spoon to fold the custard through the cream until just combined.
4. Combine the icing sugar and passionfruit in a small bowl. Place 1 piece of pastry on each serving plate. Spread with the custard mixture. Continue layering with the remaining pastry and custard mixture, finishing with a layer of pastry. Drizzle over the passionfruit icing to serve.