Orange Poppyseed Chocolate
Orange Poppyseed and Chocolate Shortbread
Sharpen your sweet tooth with these bake-sale shortbread slices.
Preparation Time: 35 minutes Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Ingredients (Makes 12)
- 185g (1 1/4 cups) plain flour
- 75g (1/3 cup firmly packed) brown sugar
- 125g cold unsalted butter, finely chopped
- 1 tbs poppyseeds
- 1 tangelo or orange, zested
- 100g orange-flavoured dark chocolate, (Lindt Intense Orange) very finely chopped
- 2 tsp caster sugar
1. Process flour, brown sugar, butter, poppyseeds, zest and 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes in a food processor until mixture is starting to form small clumps. Turn out onto a work surface and divide into 2. Gently knead each portion to just bring together, then flatten into a disc.
2. Preheat oven to 160C. Grease a 20cm tart pan with removable base, then line base with baking paper. Roll out 1 disc on a lightly floured sheet of baking paper to a 21cm round. Place in pan, pressing slightly so it reaches 1cm up edge of pan. Scatter chocolate over shortbread. Repeat rolling with second disc, slide onto a tray with paper, then freeze for 5 minutes to firm.
3. Place second shortbread round over chocolate in pan, trimming edge to fit, if necessary. Using the back of a fork, press edge to crimp and seal. Bake for 30 minutes, cover with a sheet of baking paper, then bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden.
4. Scatter shortbread with caster sugar. Cool for 10 minutes, then cut into 12 wedges. Set aside to cool completely before serving.