Mushroom and Walnut Patties
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 3/4 cups rolled oats
- 500g creamed cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- 200g cup mushrooms, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery (including leaves), finely diced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 600ml bottle Italian tomato pasta sauce
- 2 tablespoons oregano leaves
- 120g mixed salad leaves, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Place oats, cheese, egg, soy sauce and dried herbs in a food processor. Process to combine. Add breadcrumbs and walnuts. Process, pulsing, until combined. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
2. Stir mushrooms and celery into oat mixture. Using 2 tablespoons mixture at a time, shape mixture into 2cm-thick patties.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Cook patties, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a 5cm deep, 26cm (base) square baking dish. Cover to keep warm while cooking remaining patties, adding more oil as required.
4. Pour pasta sauce over patties. Sprinkle with half the oregano. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until patties are cooked through. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with remaining oregano. Serve with salad.
· Tip: If time permits, refrigerate patties at end of step 2 for 30 minutes. This helps hold them together while pan-frying and allows flavours to develop.