title: Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin
Photography by John Paul Urizar
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 500g cauliflower, cut into florets
- 500g broccoli, cut into florets
- 60g butter
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 70g (1 cup) fresh breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread)
· cheese sauce
- 500ml (2 cups) milk
- 1 brown onion, halved, coarsely chopped
- 4 fresh parsley stalks
- 4 whole black peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 30g butter
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 40g (1/2 cup) coarsely grated tasty cheese
- Salt & ground white pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. To make the cheese sauce, combine the milk, onion, parsley stalks, peppercorns, cloves and bay leaf in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat. Set aside for 15 minutes to infuse.
2. Strain milk mixture through a fine sieve into a large jug. Discard solids.
3. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until mixture bubbles and begins to come away from the side of the pan. Remove from heat.
4. Gradually pour in half the milk, whisking constantly with a balloon whisk until mixture is smooth. Gradually add the remaining milk, whisking until smooth and combined.
5. Place saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to the boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until sauce thickens and coats the back of the spoon. Remove from heat. Add the cheese and stir until cheese melts. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
6. Meanwhile, cook the cauliflower in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 5 minutes. Add broccoli and cook for a further 2 minutes or until bright green and tender crisp (see microwave tip). Drain. Arrange the cauliflower and broccoli in a 1.5L (6 cup) capacity ovenproof dish.
7. Melt butter in a frying pan over high heat until foaming. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add breadcrumbs and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from heat.
8. Pour cheese sauce over cauliflower and broccoli. Sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown and heated through. Remove from oven and serve immediately.