Barley and Honey Roast Pumpkin Salad
Boost your intake of wholegrain goodness with this delicious and nutritious barley and honey roast pumpkin salad.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 700g butternut pumpkin, peeled, chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 100g baby spinach
- 120g goat's cheese, crumbled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
1. Place barley and 4 cups cold water in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 35 minutes or until tender and liquid almost absorbed. Drain. Rinse under cold water. Drain. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C/ 180°C fan-forced. Place pumpkin on a baking tray. Add honey and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and tender. Set aside to cool.
3. Make dressing Place oil and vinegar in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk to combine. Add pumpkin mixture, spinach, cheese and dressing to barley. Toss to combine.
Serve with: Barbecued chicken breast fillets or thighs, or firm white fish fillets such as ling or blue eye.