Angel hair pasta with smoked salmon, peas and mint
Enjoy restaurant-quality pasta at home for a fraction of the price - and save yourself a cab fare, too.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 leek, trimmed, washed, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends trimmed, cut into 5cm lengths
- 120g (3/4 cup) frozen baby peas
- 125ml (1/2 cup) extra light thickened cream
- 80ml (1/3 cup) fresh lemon juice
- 1 x 175g pkt hot smoked salmon, skin removed, flaked
- 350g dried angel hair pasta
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan over low heat. Add the leek and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the asparagus and peas, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until asparagus is bright green and tender crisp. Stir in the cream, lemon juice and salmon. Cook for 1 minute or until the salmon is heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain, reserving 80ml (1/3 cup) of the cooking liquid.
3. Add the pasta, reserved cooking liquid and mint to the salmon mixture and stir until well combined.
· Budget tip: To save at the checkout, replace the smoked salmon with canned pink salmon.
With a twist: Angel hair pasta with tomato, smoked salmon & mint: Omit the cream and lemon juice. Add a 400g can diced tomatoes with the asparagus in step 1.